Course OverviewBlogging is the essential starting point for your social media strategy. Whether you want to start a new blog or improve an existing one, this practical one-day workshop led by Jon Reed, creator of the blog Publishing Talk, will help you with the technology and skills required. You will come away with your own blog – plus a strategy for managing, marketing and monetizing it.
Learning OutcomesBy the end of the session participants will:
- have created (or improved) their own blog
- be able to enhance their WordPress blog with plugins and widgets
- have a plan to manage and promote their blog
- understand some basic HTML
- have lots of ideas for engaging blog posts.
Your Learning Package Includes:
- one-day workshop
- FREE copy of Jon Reed’s book Get Up to Speed with Online Marketing
- lots of handouts, planning tools and templates
- online access to PDFs of resources
- follow-up support via a discussion board
- a Certificate of Attendance.
MorningThe morning session will look at the strategy and technology involved in creating a successful blog.
- 10.00 – Welcome and Objectives
- 10.15 – Blogging Strategy – How to build a readership or reach a market
- 10.45 – Introducing WordPress – An overview of the most flexible and powerful blogging platform. ACTIVITY: Setting up your WordPress.com blog.
- 11.45 – Writing Blog Posts – Finding topics; length and frequency of posts. ACTIVITY: Start writing your first post.
- 12.45 – HTML for Bloggers – Basic code to give you more control over posts, pages and widgets.
13.00 – 14.00 LUNCH
In the afternoon session we will look at what to do with your blog once you’ve created it.
- 14.00 – Enhancing Your Blog – Adding images and video; using widgets and plugins
- 14.50 – Managing Your Blog – Planning your content with an editorial calendar, managing the workload
- 15.20 – Marketing Your Blog – Promoting your blog with social networks such as Twitter and Facebook
- 16.00 – Monetizing Your Blog – Business models such as advertising, sponsorship, membership sites and ‘freemium’
- 16.30 – Questions and Discussion – Wrap-up, discussion and action points.
Jon Reed has taught social media for 10 years – since its earliest days – and is the author of Get Up to Speed with Online Marketing: How to use Websites, Blogs, Social Networking and More to Promote Your Business (2nd edition, Pearson Business, 2013). He has lectured on social media on a number of university courses, including at Birkbeck, City, Brunel, Bath Spa, Kingston and UCL, speaks at conferences and runs in-house training for large organizations.
He previously worked in academic publishing for 10 years, including as publishing director for McGraw-Hill. He runs the blog Publishing Talk, which has over 330,000 followers on Twitter.
Jon also enjoys photography, writing screenplays and listening to The Archers on Radio 4.
Image © Krystyna FitzGerald-Morris