Master blogging with this hands-on workshop using WordPress.
Date and Time: Thursday 11 May 2017, 10am – 5pm
Location: Central London (venue TBC)
Capacity: 12 places
Tutor: Jon Reed – founder of the Publishing Talk blog and author of Get Up to Speed with Online Marketing.
Course OverviewBlogging is the essential starting point for your social media strategy. Whether you want to start a new blog or improve an existing one, this practical one-day workshop led by Jon Reed, creator of the blog Publishing Talk, will help you with the technology and skills required. You will come away with your own blog – plus a strategy for managing, marketing and monetizing it.
Learning OutcomesBy the end of the session participants will:
- have created (or improved) their own blog
- be able to enhance their WordPress blog with plugins and widgets
- have a plan to manage and promote their blog
- understand some basic HTML
- have lots of ideas for engaging blog posts.
Your Learning Package Includes:
- one-day workshop
- FREE copy of Jon Reed’s book Get Up to Speed with Online Marketing
- lots of handouts, planning tools and templates
- online access to PDFs of resources
- follow-up support via a discussion board
- a Certificate of Attendance.
MorningThe morning session will look at the strategy and technology involved in creating a successful blog.
- 10.00 – Welcome and Objectives
- 10.15 – Blogging Strategy – How to build a readership or reach a market
- 10.45 – Introducing WordPress – An overview of the most flexible and powerful blogging platform. ACTIVITY: Setting up your WordPress.com blog.
- 11.45 – Writing Blog Posts – Finding topics; length and frequency of posts. ACTIVITY: Start writing your first post.
- 12.45 – HTML for Bloggers – Basic code to give you more control over posts, pages and widgets.
13.00 – 14.00 LUNCH
In the afternoon session we will look at what to do with your blog once you’ve created it.
- 14.00 – Enhancing Your Blog – Adding images and video; using widgets and plugins
- 14.50 – Managing Your Blog – Planning your content with an editorial calendar, managing the workload
- 15.20 – Marketing Your Blog – Promoting your blog with social networks such as Twitter and Facebook
- 16.00 – Monetizing Your Blog – Business models such as advertising, sponsorship, membership sites and ‘freemium’
- 16.30 – Questions and Discussion – Wrap-up, discussion and action points.
Jon Reed has taught social media for 10 years – since its earliest days – and is the author of Get Up to Speed with Online Marketing: How to use Websites, Blogs, Social Networking and More to Promote Your Business (2nd edition, Pearson Business, 2013). He has lectured on social media on a number of university courses, including at Birkbeck, City, Brunel, Bath Spa, Kingston and UCL, speaks at conferences and runs in-house training for large organizations.
He previously worked in academic publishing for 10 years, including as publishing director for McGraw-Hill. He runs the blog Publishing Talk, which has over 330,000 followers on Twitter.
Jon also enjoys photography, writing screenplays and listening to The Archers on Radio 4.
Image © Krystyna FitzGerald-Morris