Jon Reed is an author and social media consultant who previously worked in academic publishing for 10 years, including as publishing director for McGraw-Hill.
He has helped thousands of people use social media for marketing through his writing, speaking and teaching. His bestselling book Get Up to Speed with Online Marketing: How to use websites, blogs, social networking and much more was published by FT Prentice Hall in 2010. Jon lectures on social media on a number of undergraduate and postgraduate courses, including at Birkbeck, Brunel, Bath Spa, Kingston and City Universities. He also runs a week-long residential Arvon course on online writing to help authors build an online platform.
His blog, Publishing Talk, is a key destination site for authors and publishers wanting to learn more about the marketing possibilities of social media. With over 225,000 followers on Twitter, it is one of the most followed Twitter accounts in the publishing world, and the most influential according to Twitter directory WeFollow.
In 2012, Publishing Talk Magazine launched – a print and digital publication to help the Publishing Talk community write, publish and sell books.
- The Publishing Talk Guide to Twitter (Reed Media, 2011)
- Get Up to Speed with Online Marketing: How to use websites, blogs, social networking and much more (FT Prentice Hall, 2010)
- “Small and Mighty”, The Deal: The Official Magazine of the London Book Fair, Spring 2009, pp12-14 (available at publishingtalk.eu)
- “Time to Talk”, The Deal: The official magazine of the London Book Fair (Spring 2008), pp12-15 (available at publishingtalk.eu)
- “Selling Yourself Online”, The Writer’s Handbook 2009, Palgrave Macmillan (July 2008), pp9-13
1993 BA (Hons) Psychology with International Relations, Staffordshire University; 1999 MSc Health Psychology, University of Westminster; 2006 PG Dip New Media Management, Birkbeck, University of London.
1994 Research Psychologist, Staffordshire University; 1995 Editorial Assistant, Routledge; 1998 Senior Editor, BPS Books; 2000 Senior Editor, Palgrave Macmillan, 2003 Health Sciences Publisher, Palgrave Macmillan; 2004 Publishing Director, McGraw-Hill & Open University Press; 2006 Director, Reed Media Ltd and Small Business Studio; 2007 Founder and Editor-in-Chief, Publishing Talk.